Stories of the Law of Attraction

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Early Memories of the Law of Attraction, Serendipity and Intuition

The Law of Attraction is a new term for me, having only really heard that name for it recently.  When we were kids we called it Coincidence or Serendipity, or even Intuition. Knowing when to turn, what to do next.  Thinking of someone, and they call.  Wishing for something and having it appear in an unexpected way. Maybe it's a Guardian Angel whispering in my ear.  Here are some of my earliest memories of this.

This first one I'm not sure you would call Attraction.  Maybe Intuition is more accurate, but I like to think it was my Guardian Angel.

I grew up in Wasilla, Alaska (yes of Sarah Palin fame, and yes, our family knows her family and the Palins and no, I'm not going to blog about it so please don't comment on that).  It was a small community that grew rapidly over the years with the oil boom and the creation of the Alaska Pipeline.  Though when I was in elementary school it was still very small.

Every day I would walk home from school, through the woods and then down that single paved road (other than the highway).  I'd make my way to the top of this hill and I had two ways to go to get home from there.  One way would take me around some buildings and down to my father's store parking lot and around to our front yard.  The other way was a short alleyway down a small hill and straight to our back yard.  This was clearly the quickest, most direct route.  However, one day I just stopped and decided not to go that way.  From that point on each day I would stop at this junction and decide if taking the short route would "feel right." If it didn't, around I would go the long way.  I never doubted.  It just seemed obvious.

My parents were active in the Iditarod, a 1049 mile sled dog race from Anchorage to Nome.  Every other year they would spend a few weeks out at the Cripple Creek half-way check point and feed all the mushers as they came through.  It was great fun for them, and we would always get the family of one of our friends to stay with us kids while they were gone.  This year it was a friend of mine who lived nearby.  I'll call her Sandy, but of course that wasn't her name.

We were walking home together from our elementary school and chatting.  I tried to explain to her that we "might" be able to take the short way home, but when we got to a certain point I was going to stop and decide.  To my surprise at the time, she thought this was quite ridiculous, (my first hint as a child that not everyone did this kind of thing).

I stopped at the top of the hill.  Our house was right there, we could see it just a short hop away.  I thought for a moment and, nope, not today.  I tried to explain this to Sandy.  I told her it just didn't feel right and we were going to have to take the long way around, couldn't be helped.  Sandy, of course, wouldn't hear it.  She could SEE the house, it was right there!  Sandy refused to go the long way around and we argued about it.  I was so angry!  I felt hurt that she didn't believe me, and said I was crazy.  I tried to convince her that it was really the same distance, really we should go together the other way, but ultimately (now here's my justification) I was so angry I decided fine, just let her go then.  I wanted to prove both ways were the same distance and there was no reason not to go my way (thought of course I knew this wasn't true).

Sandy took off walking down the alleyway, and I ran as fast as I could the long way around.  I was sprinting full out, fury fueling my speed!  I had to beat her home so I could win the argument!

When I arrived home the police were all ready there.

I couldn't believe it, she beat me home.  The long way home really was a lot longer. Sandy had been attacked by a rapist on the way down the alley, and stabbed in the arm.  She had been molested, but got away before he could get her clothes off.  Her shirt was ripped and her bloody arm all ready bandaged when I arrived.

I yelled at her, "I told you not to go that way!  I told you it wasn't safe!"

This was a huge mistake because the police we on me in a heartbeat.  What did I know?  Who did this?  They didn't believe me either, nor did Sandy's mother.

This was a lesson for me.  Not everyone follows their intuition.  Not everyone believes.  Some people walk through their whole lives victims of circumstance.  As a child it's really hard to create your own reality.  Older people have had a lot longer to hone their powers of choice and effect. Sometimes, no matter how in tune the child is, the bigger, stronger, more practiced adult is going to get the better of them.  I want to teach my children how to be safe, how to be positive, how to be sure of their own intuition, how to use the Law of Attraction to get the lives they want now too.

No comments:

Post a Comment